The Homeland Security Bureau is part of the Special Operations Division. It is comprised of six (6) main components: Facility Deputy Unit; Criminal Intelligence Unit (CIU); Canine Unit; S.W.A.T. Team, which includes Hostage Negotiations; Bomb Squad (Explosives Ordnance Disposal); and Dive Unit.
"We are committed to maintaining a leading role to deter acts of terrorism and provide effective response for civil defense operations in Shelby County, Tennessee. Our priorities are to maintain situational awareness and operational readiness to mitigate the effects of a terrorist attack or natural disaster should one occur."
The Homeland Security Bureau will maintain partnership and communications with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Shelby County Office of Preparedness HLS/EMA, Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI), Emergency Management Agency (EMA), TN Office of Homeland Security, TN Fusion Center (TFC), Regional Organized Crime Information Center (ROCIC), and Area Maritime Security Committee (AMSC). We strive to strengthen our partnerships with joint-training exercises and multi-agency meetings for response planning and information sharing.
To Report Suspicious Activity:
- If you perceive an immediate threat, PLEASE CALL 911.
- To report suspicious activity that you believe is related to the Sheriff's Office call (901) 379-7625 or the FBI at (901) 747-4300.
- Send mail to our Terrorism Tips Email Address at email@example.com
Ways to Be Involved:
- Sheriff's Office Citizens' Academy - (901) 387-5750
- Shelby County Reserves - (901) 867-1440
- Shelby County Emergency Services - (901) 867-1440
- Shelby County Special Services - (901) 867-1445