Frequently Asked Questions about Civil Field / Levy Division

Q. Will the Sheriff’s Office serve papers for me?

A. Yes! The very first step to file a complaint or civil action against another is to go to one of the court clerk’s office (General Sessions, Circuit, or Chancery Court) to file the type of complaint or civil action you need. Of course, there is a fee for this service.

Once the civil warrant or complaint is filled out, it is assigned a docket number, then checked to see if the defendant’s name, address, work address, phone number are on the warrant, and lastly the complaint. (why you are making this complaint).

If everything checks out okay, the paper is then sent to the Sheriff’s Civil Division for service. Once the paper is served, it is assigned a court date and time. The officer serving the paper will notify you of the court date and time.

Q. How do I have a tenant evicted from rental property I own or manage?

A. The first step to this legal action is to file a FED or Detainer Warrant and pay the appropriate fees. This is the leading paper or process to the eviction. This type of paper has lot variables and can be difficult. As with any legal action, consult with an attorney.

Q. Where do I go to take out a civil warrant?

A. Go to the General Sessions Court’s Clerk Office located on the first floor of the Old Courthouse at 140 Washington St. & Second St., downtown.

Q. Is the Sheriff’s Office responsible for removing furniture from a property prior to an eviction?

A. No, the plaintiff is responsible for having the property removed.

Q. What is a Sheriff’s sale and when is it held?

A. A Sheriff’s sale is the sale of property that has been levied or executed on and held in storage until the sale date normal set by the courts. However, vehicles are sold at auction the last Wednesday of the month.